Fines for shoplifting in Colorado
The severity of Colorado shoplifting penalties depends on the value of the items stolen. According to Colorado laws, theft is classified as follows:
· Petty offence Class 1. A stolen item costs less than $ 50. Punishments can include up to one year in prison and / or a fine.
· Misdemeanor Class 3. A stolen item costs $ 50 or more, but less than $ 300. Punishments can include up to six months in prison and / or a fine.
· Misdemeanor Class 2. A stolen item costs over $ 300 but less than $ 750. Punishments can include up to 1 year in prison and a fine of up to $ 1000.
· Misdemeanor Class 1. A stolen item costs over $ 750 but less than $ 2,000. Punishments can include up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $ 5,000.
· The perpetrator is charged with a felony if the stolen item is worth more than $ 2,000. Punishments include imprisonment of one year or more and possible fines. Criminal offenses are also classified according to the cost of the stolen item, but most often shoplifters do not take such a high risk, and steal less expensive goods.
Punishments for repeat offenders
Colorado shoplifting law increases the maximum penalties for repeat offenders. The severity of the punishment depends on the classification of current and previous crimes, their number and the period of time between charges. For example, if the offender committed shoplifting in Colorado the third time, he faces a sentence of three times the maximum sentence. It is also worth considering the time between charges. An offender who has been convicted for four years of shoplifting felony Class 3 must receive a minimum sentence and is not eligible for probation or suspended sentences.
In many states, a shoplifter is to pay civil penalties as well. These penalties are designed to scare off shoplifters. The shopkeepers will thus compensate for the costs they incurred to prevent and prosecute shoplifters. In addition to this, the thief can be held liable to the store owner for actual damage, plus an additional fine of $ 100 to $ 250.
How to avoid accusations?
Today there is a large variety of high quality security systems for catching shoplifters. However, statistics show that they spot only beginners. They are looking for professionals for a long time. Proper preparation before committing a crime can help avoid accusations of shoplifting in Colorado. Professional shoplifters use shoplifting equipment of the best manufacturers, for example, Bombastershop https://shoplifting.tech/. In addition, "work" in shoplifting requires certain knowledge; only having the knowledge and skills you can leave the store unnoticed and avoid any kind of punishments.